Saturday 20 January 2018

Getting to Know You Book Tag

So, I stole these questions from a Booktuber (original video here), but there is no reason why I can't answer them on a blog because I'm too scared to film myself. So let's get started:

1)What's your favourite book?
It is hard to choose just one book, but because I have just finished it, I shall say The Collector by John Fowles. I am planning on posting a review very soon, so when I do I shall post a link here.



2) What was your favourite book 5 years ago? 
 Ditto the choosing just one, but I think I would have to say either The Secret History by Donna Tartt, or The Poisonwood Diary by Barbara Kingsolver.



3) Favourite duology/trilogy/series? 
I usually don't read many series, possibly because I have been disappointed so often by follow up books, and because I am impatient and want to read the whole series in one go rather than wait for the next book in the series. However, I absolutely adored and devoured Death Note, and even though it has been at least 10 years since I read it, I still think about the morality of L's actions.



4) What was the last book you read? 
The Tempest by William Shakespeare. It is one of the books referenced frequently in The Collector, particularly in the character names so I wanted to read the play so I could better understand what Fowles wanted to indicate through their use.



5) What was the last book of poetry you read? 
On New Year's Day I started reading A Poem for Every Night of the Year, but as we are still only two thirds of the way through January, I am a long way towards finishing it. But the last poetry book I completed was Night Sky With Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong. It was incredibly moving.




6) What book most influenced your life? 
This is even harder than having to pick a favourite, but I am going to say that all of the Judy Blume books I read as a teenager influenced my life greatly at that time. Whatever was ailing me, I found answers or comfort or just confirmation that other people felt the way I did.





7) Book that made you ugly cry? 
There are loads of books that made me ugly cry, probably the most memorable was A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman because I read the ending just before meeting my boyfriend for coffee and I kept thinking about it as I sat in the coffee shop and I am sure that the people looking at us must have thought something terrible had happened.



8) Book that made you laugh? 
I got a copy of James Acaster's Classic Scrapes for Christmas. He is one of my favourite comedians and there was a lot in there to make me laugh. As far as novels go, Candide by Voltaire definitely tickled my funny bone.




9) Character you'd like to be for the day? 
If I could also choose the day, I would be Bridget Jones the day that Darcy tells her that he likes her just the way she is. If it is just a general day, then I would have to say Robyn from JK (Robert Galbraith) Rowling's Cormoran Strike series, she is living the dream I had as a child, because in book four she is training to be a private detective herself!!

10) A book that was so good you dreamt about it? 
It wasn't a particularly pleasant dream but I did have a dream about Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, without giving anything away, but if you have read the book, I was one of the islanders.



11) Book you DNF'd?
I hardly DNF anything, but I had to DNF Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, which was extra sad because I was so excited to read it and it has been on my TBR for as long as I can remember. Two of my best bookie mates told me how much I was going to enjoy it, when they found out I was reading it, but I just found his writing style hard to get on with. I cannot put my finger on exactly what it was, but I hated it. Maybe I will pick it up again at a later date, it could have just been I was not in the mood.



12) what book are you most excited to read?
I think, again, because I have just finished and enjoyed The Collector, I an really excited to read The Magus by John Fowles, but right now I want to explore more books that have been influenced by The Tempest, such as Brave New World, and also Margaret Atwood's retelling Hag-Seed.





No comments:

Post a Comment